Last week wasn’t the best, but there’s things to learn from it.
- The rotation is good.
- With the exception of Glasnow (although his control looks better today with 7 Ks and 2 BB) and the shaken Cole (his first two starts) the rotation is looking solid. Taillon is a monster and Kuhl came back from a rocky first start to only give up one run to the Red Sox. Overall, look for the rotation to be a strength for the Pirates. No Jeff Locke!
- The offense needs to get it together.
- Specifically during the Reds series, the Buccos struggled to do anything with RISP going 0-24 over the series. If the club wants to succeed, that can’t continue to happen. That entire series was a wash. I won’t be surprised if the pirates sweep that one under the rug and forget about it. It was a nasty one.
- The outfielders are still getting used to their new positions and that’s okay.
- There’s been some growing pains with the new outfield alignment. Cutch has been solid in right but Marte and Polanco made back-to-back misplays in the Red Sox makeup game. This’ll fix itself with time. Having three CF in the outfield isn’t a bad thing.
- Freese is on a hot streak.
- Who would have expected Freese to be the Pirates best offensive player at the start of the season? With the highest average on the team, he’s making the loss of Jung Ho Kang hurt a lot less. Now if only he could be a middle reliever too.
That’s all for this week. I’ll be back with more next weekend. See you then ya yinzers!